Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fabric Flower Necklace Tutorial


Supplies needed:
  • fabric remnant(s)
  • small amount of felt
  • lace, netting, or even feathers
  • glue (I used low melt hot glue for this, but I have also done it with fast grab Tacky Glue)
  • scissors
  • needle and thread (optional)
  • jewelry string (I used the stretchy kind)
  • beads (I used a pack that had 65 beads)
  • 1 jewelry clasp (also optional)
*I am right handed. It may make a difference for some of you. Do what works for you. Add glue as you go along, it will help keep the shape for you.*

First, cut 5 strips of fabric. For mine, I cut them about 16" by 2".


Starting at the bottom right roll the fabric upward as if making a straw.


While holding that in place, turn it so it is vertical with the thinnest part on top. Begin rolling downward, like a cinnamon roll.


Now here's the hard part. Taking the small swirl you have started in your left hand, grab the next section of fabric with your right hand. Twist the fabric away from you in an outward motion. 


Continue adding glue as you go along. Turn the rosette with your left hand while twisting outward and away from you with the fabric in your right hand. Hopefully this is making sense :)


Continue on until you run out of fabric. Your flower should look something like this.


 Make 5 of them to complete my design.


Glue the flowers to the piece of lace, tulle, netting, etc that you have.


Now this next part is optional. I hand sewed on the stretchy jewelry cord, just to keep it in place. (This is not pictures since clear cord does not photograph well!) Then I glued on a piece of felt to keep it all in place.


Next, string on your beads on both sides.


Add a jewelry clasp, or tie in a knot if it fits over your head.


You have a beatiful necklace!

Here is another I made too:


I am also linking up. Check out the other cool projects!



DIY Day @ ASPTL
 
&
 
Blue Cricket Design
 
&
make it wear it
 
&

14 comments:

  1. The flowers are beautiful! You do such a good job. I think I might use your tutorial to make my mom a mother's day corsage and me a necklace. Thanks for the inspiration! Keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun are these! the black one is especially awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks for sharing! If you are interested, you should stop by and link up to my new Thursday carnival called Make it, Wear it.

    Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this necklace! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So darling! I love that material you used. SO pretty!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute Cute!! I have been wanting to learn how to make these! From one fellow crafter to another THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this flower necklace, I've seen them all around. I love how you added the lace under them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tutorial! I have to make one of these for me. I am also featuring your project on my blog today. www.CantaloupeCorner.blogspot.com

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    Contact me here if you have a concern.

    Jane
    http://diylessons.org/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog...I'm trying to get a blog started and would love to have you as a follower. Check it out..... http://bellejjsboutique.blogspot.com/

    Also, check out my facebook page and "like" me.
    Belle JJ's Boutique. Thanks....I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! I saw it on Pinterest and I have to try it! I love fabric flowers but I can't sew, so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails