Monday, July 12, 2010

Placemat Purse

For those of you who may have missed my recent guest post on C.R.A.F.T. here is the tutorial I shared. Enjoy!
 Materials Needed:
2 Placemats
less than 1/2 yard of fabric
scissors
thread
sewing machine

1. Cut your 2 placemats so they are both the same size (Mine were a little wonky). Cut the bottom corners so they are rounded..
2. Cut 2 pieces of fabric the same size as your placemats.
3. If you want ruffles or some other decoration on you bag, now is the time to add it to one of the placemats. Now, make and attach your handles. (Or just attach premade ones). My straps were just made from a long skinny piece of fabric folded over and sewn. I sewed them on to the top of the bag, close to the edge, just to keep them in place.

4. Take your 2 placemats and put the pretty sides and handles facing in. Sew these together. Do not sew the top edge where the handles are.

5. Turn right side out. Here is where it starts to look good!
6. Put your "bag" aside for now. Basically we will do the same thing now with your lining fabric. Put right sides together and sew along the sides. Do not sew the top edge and make sure to leave a hole at the bottom for turning later.
 7. Now is where pictures help. Put your placemat bag inside what you just sewed.The handles will be between the layers.

8. Sew the two "bags" together at the top edge. For me, it helps to pin.
9. Turn the bag right side out by pulling the placemats out of the bottom of the lining.
10. With the lining outside of the bag still, sew the open edge.(Here, it's at the top where the pink/red is. I added pockets to my bag.)
11. Tuck the lining into the bag. To give it a finished edge, pin the top edge and top stitch it all the way around the top edge.
12. I added some flower pins for some prettiness. ALL DONE! Isn't it fabulous?


post signature

1 comment:

  1. When I found you blog I thought you were my twin... Love the name! I put your button on my blog. I would love to have you check it out and if you like it post mine on yours. http://craftalicous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails